Pediatric Feeding Therapy focuses primarily on problems associated with eating or swallowing. These issues can begin in infancy and may result from various causes. Our specialized therapists will work with your child to solve these challenges.
When a Feeding Evaluation is Recommended:
Difficulty with bottle or breast feedings
Therapy can help improve feedings and make this time a less stressful, and more enjoyable experience.
Frequent respiratory infections
Our speech therapists will evaluate and make recommendations to reduce respiratory infections.
Pauses in breathing/apnea spells during feedings
Achieve therapists will determine if your child is having breathing difficulties while eating, and create a plan to treat this sometimes serious symptom.
Trouble gaining weight
Feeding issues can lead to slow weight gain. We will work to ensure your child has the tools needed to gain and grow appropriately.
Issues with chewing or biting
Achieve therapists will improve oral motor skills needed to properly chew and bite food.
Difficulty drinking from a cup
We will evaluate and treat issues surrounding drinking from a cup.
Our team looks for excessive gagging and puts a plan in place to reduce it.
Limited variety in diet
We will introduce new food items to your child to ensure they are receiving a well balanced diet.
Conditions We Treat:
- An extremely limited diet
- Difficulty eating an age-appropriate diet
- Difficulty chewing or biting foods
- Difficulty drinking from a cup
- Difficulty eating enough food
- Limited self-feeding skills
- A history of non-oral (ex. g-tube) feedings
- Coughing, choking, and/or gagging
- Apnea/breath-holding spells
- Wet, “gurgly” breath sounds
- Frequent respiratory infections
- Noisy, messy feedings
- Excessive gassiness
- Oral hypersensitivity/gag easily